This command is useful when you just want your puppy to settle down and relax in one place with or without you, for example in the vet’s waiting room, in a pub or cafe, or in your home with visitors round.
The ‘Settle’ Command
- Put your dog into a down position, so both hips are level (if you put a line down your puppy lengthways, both sides would be symmetrical)
- Using a treat as your guide, move it from your puppy’s nose around the side of them to the part where the top of the back leg meets the belly.
- Keep it close to your puppy’s body as you guide the treat round. Also keep the treat very close to the floor so your puppy doesn’t stand up.
- When they flop to one side and the back legs are on the same side, immediately give the treat and the ‘settle’ command
- Repeat until very consistent, then remove the treat from the lure hand and practice with an empty hand